Quesadillas are the perfect afterschool snack because they are easy to make and full of wholesome ingredients that will fill your kids up right without spoiling their dinner appetite. Another great thing about quesadillas is their versatility: You can easily change-up the flavor profile of a quesadilla by adding and or substituting and interesting ingredient. In this case, I decided to include Gala apples for my Chicken Apple Quesadilla. I served my Chicken Apple Quesadilla to a group of teenagers who loved the sweet tangy zest the apple brought to their staple meal. One proclaimed, “These taste really good! The apple almost tastes like a fresh salsa in the quesadilla.” Typically, I try to use dark meat with sautéed onions, bell and jalapeño peppers in my quesadillas for additional flavor. Shredded sharp cheddar with a little shredded Queso Fresco/Blanco is my favorite cheese combination for any quesadilla.
For August, September and October, Rudi’s along with Naturally Savvy is promoting the online magazine “Label Lessons.” “Label Lessons” is available to the public and is specifically aimed at “Unjunking” your kid’s lunchbox by educating parents of the harmful ingredients found in common lunch box food products. The magazine also provides healthy alternatives to the staple foods of the school year. To read the magazine click here . At Rudi’s, we will be posting recipes and articles in our blogs that will make it easier for parents to ensure their children a nutritious lunch free of harmful ingredients, preservatives and additives!
Ingredients (Serves 6):
- Rudi’s Organic Bakery Multigrain Tortillas
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese and Queso Fresco/Blanco
- 1lb Chicken Meat
- 1 Gala Apple (Thinly Sliced)
- 1 Onion
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Red, Orange or Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Slice Onion, Bell and Jalapeño peppers and sauté in a medium-sized skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Place one tortilla in the skillet.
- Place shredded cheese on half of the tortilla, at least 1/2-inch from the edge of the tortilla. Add chicken, sautéed veggies and sliced apple on top of the cheese. Fold the tortilla and press down with the spatula. Lower the heat to medium.
- Cook and flip quesadilla until golden brown.
- Remove from heat, cut quesadilla into triangles and serve with sour cream, guacamole and or salsa.