By Skylar Robinson
Time to Prepare: 3 hrs 0 mins
• Olive oil (about 1-2 tbsps)
• 1 large onion, minced (about 1 cup)
• 4 med-large cloves garlic, minced
• 2 large cans (about 28 oz) stewed tomatoes (do not drain)
• 1-2 Tbsp chopped kalamata olives, roughly chopped
• 1 Tbsp capers (chop these if you don’t like the little chunks)
• 6 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
• 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
• ½-1 tsp sugar (optional)
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 1 1/3 lbs ground chicken
• 2 slices of Rudi’s Gluten Free Multigrain Sandwich Bread, toasted and ground to make 1 cup of breadcrumbs
• 2 minced garlic cloves
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 2 tsp dried basil
• 1 egg lightly beaten
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Spaghetti Squash “Noodles”
•2 med-large spaghetti squashes
• 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
• Salt, to taste
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 1-2 Tbsp chopped, fresh oregano
• 4 cups chopped spinach
• 2 cups Shredded mozzarella cheese
For the Tomato Sauce:
1. Add a few Tbsps of oil to a large saucepan (to coat the bottom) and bring to med-high heat. Add the onion and the garlic and sauté for a few minutes until soft and lightly browned.
2. Add the tomatoes, olives, capers, and the herbs and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for at least 30 min, until cooked down and thick, continue cooking if want it reduced further or thin with more tomato juice or stock if desired.
3. Taste the sauce and add the sugar if needed then season with salt and pepper. Puree the sauce if desired or leave it chunky.
4. Keep warm until ready to serve.
For the Chicken Meatballs:
5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
6. In a large bowl combine ground chicken, bread crumbs, garlic, garlic powder, basil, Parmesan, egg, salt, and pepper.
7. Combine gently with a fork.
8. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
9. With a cookie scoop, drop 1 to 1 1/4-inch meatballs onto sheet pan. You should have about 40 meatballs.
10. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until cooked through and lightly browned.
11. Add meatballs to hot, prepared sauce and cook for 10 minutes.
For the Spaghetti Squash “Noodles”:
12. Preheat the oven to 350 F, cut the squashes in half, scoop out the seeds and pulp and discard or save for later use.
13. Place the squashes flesh-side down on 1 or 2 rimmed baking sheets and pour in enough water to come about ½ inch up the sides. Place the trays in the middle of the preheated oven and bake for about 35-40 min, until the skin can be pierced pretty easily with a fork.
14. Remove the squashes from the oven and cool until easy to handle. Use a fork to gently comb the flesh of the squash from side-to-side so that the strands look like long spaghetti noodles.
15. A little bit before serving, heat the oil in a large skillet med-high. When heated, add the squash noodles and season with the salt, pepper, and oregano and toss with tongs. Add the spinach and toss to combine. Remove from heat and plate. Serve with sauce, meatballs, and shredded mozzarella cheese.