This classic dish is simple, beautiful and delicious. The sauce or toppings can be varied depending on season and your taste but the key is the homemade bread crumbs from Rud’s original gluten free bread. The kids love these cutlets and would rather have these than fast food any day. They are also great for an elegant dinner party or a romantic dinner for two. Even better, the cutlets cook so fast this all comes together in less than thirty minutes. Time to prepare: 30mins
8 slices Rudi’s original gluten free bread
6 veal or chicken cutlets
Fresh Ground Pepper
½ cup gluten free flour
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
¼ – ½ cup olive oil
For Tomato Arugula Salad
2 cups Arugula
4 vine ripe tomatoes sliced into wedges
2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
Fresh Ground Pepper
For Bread Crumbs:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place 8 slices of Rudi’s original gluten free bread in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake until dried out and no moisture remaining – about 10-15 minutes.
- Allow toasted bread to cool. Process Rudi’s bread in food processor until fine crumbs form.
While bread is toasting. . .
- Place veal or chicken cutlets between plastic wrap and tenderize to 1/8-1/4 inch thickness. Pat cutlets completely dry with a paper towel. Season each cutlet with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Set up three pie plates or other shallow dishes in a row. In the first dish place ½ cup of gluten free flour. In the second dish whisk together the eggs and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. In the third dish put the fresh Rudi’s breadcrumbs and the parmesan cheese.
- One at a time dredge the cutlets first in the flour and pat off excess. Next dredge in the egg mixture shaking off the excess. And the most important step, toss the chicken in the bread crumbs to coat and then press crumbs into cutlets. Be sure there is an even coating on both sides of the cutlet.
- Heat ¼ olive oil on medium high in large skillet. Be sure that oil is hot before you start cooking the cutlets. Cook until golden brown and crisp on the first side. About 2 ½ minutes. With a large spatula carefully flip cutlets. Reduce heat to medium and cook until golden on the second side – about an additional 2 ½ minutes.
For Tomato Arugula Salad:
- In a bowl combine the arugula, tomato wedges, oilive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat evenly.
- You can plate these individually or on a large platter depending on the size of the party.
- Place a cutlet on a plate. On one end put some of the tomato arugula salad. Garnish with a lemon wedge. YUMMY!!
Recipe by Jennifer Daskevich