Created by Justin Cucci, Root Down chef and owner
GLUTEN-FREE PUMPKIN PIE
Yield: one 9-inch pie
- 1/2 recipe Pamela’s Easy Pie Crust (see below)
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/3 cup organic brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoons fresh grated Ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh Tarragon, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups organic pumpkin puree (one 15 oz. can)
- 2 organic brown eggs
- 1-1/2 cups organic evaporated milk (one 12 oz. can)
- 1/3 cup organic shredded coconut, lightly toasted
Preheat oven to 350°.
Prepare Pamela’s Easy Pie Crust, divide in two equal parts, and use one part to form a shell in a 9-inch pie pan. Refrigerate until ready to bake pie.
In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, tarragon, nutmeg, and sea salt.
In a larger bowl, combine pumpkin puree, eggs, and evaporated milk. Mix to incorporate eggs fully. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin puree mixture and whisk to combine well. Carefully pour pie filling into unbaked crust.
Bake pie on bottom rack of 350° oven until pie is set but the center still jiggles slightly, about 50 minutes.
Cool pie completely on a wire rack before serving. Top with sprinkles of toasted coconut, enjoy!
EASY PIE CRUST
Yield: two, 9-inch pie crusts
- 1 bag (3-1/2 cups) Pamela’s Gluten-Free Bread Mix (do not use the yeast packet)
- 8 Tbsp organic unsalted butter, chilled
- 8 Tbsp Earth Balance shortening, chilled
- 7 to 8 Tbsp ice cold water
In a bowl, cut chilled butter and shortening into Pamela’s Gluten-Free Bread Mix with two knives or a pastry knife until small pea sized pieces form. Slowly add water until dough comes together, not sticky. Add 1 tsp additional water if dough is too dry. Do not over handle dough. Roll out half the dough between two sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Peel off top paper and invert into a lightly greased pie dish. Peel off second sheet and fix crust edge. Bake on lower rack in oven. Bake unfilled crust in a 350° oven on bottom rack for 35 to 40 minutes.
Non-dairy: use 8 TBSP Earth Balance margarine and 8 TBSP Earth Balance shortening