Everybody seems to have their own tunafish salad recipe, which is a perfect reason to try a new one! Attributes of our tunafish salad recipe that make it special include, its crunchy texture, added flavor, high protein content and entirely gmo-free ingredient list! For texture, I like to avoid chopping my vegetables as finely as most recipes, which gives our salad an added crunch. My added flavor comes from the use of sharp cheddar cheese, green onions and habanero hot sauce. Yes, I understand that habaneros are intimidating, but the mayonnaise and hardboiled egg whites do well at keeping the heat levels down. Finally, most recipes do not call for hard-boiled eggs, but I use them as an extra source of protein and enriched flavor. Using Rudi’s bread, it is possible to make this recipe entirely gmo-free . The recipe is also simple and easy to make, especially if you make the tunafish salad the night before school and refrigerate.
For August and September, Rudi’s along with Naturally Savvy is promoting the online magazine “Label Lessons.” “Label Lessons” is available to the public and is specifically aimed at “Unjunking” your kid’s lunchbox by educating parents of the harmful ingredients found in common lunch box food products. The magazine also provides healthy alternatives to the staple foods of the school year. To read the magazine click here . At Rudi’s, we will be posting recipes and articles in our blogs that will make it easier for parents to ensure their children a nutritious lunch free of harmful ingredients, preservatives and additives!
- Rudi’s Gluten-Free Bread
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Two 6-ounce cans white meat tuna packed in water, drained
- 2 Tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 Tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 Teaspoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon of your favorite spicy habanero hot sauce or paprika
- 4 Hard boiled egg whites (optional)
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
- Add tuna to a small mixing bowl and break it up with a fork.
- Mix with the celery, onion, parsley and hard-boiled egg whites.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard, hot sauce and a sprinkle with pepper. Stir to combine. Add lemon juice to your preference.
- Spread tunafish salad on a Rudi’s Gluten-Free slice and garnish with green onion.
- Add slice of cheddar cheese and another Rudi’s Gluten-Free slice to complete sandwich.
- Optional: Grill the sandwich as an after school or weekend snack!