Dear Gluten Free Readers,
Having trouble thinking of healthy breakfast options that will keep you from getting pinched? While shopping in the produce section of my grocer yesterday, I was pleasantly reminded that St. Patrick’s Day could be one of the easiest holidays to eat healthy while abiding to the “Green Theme!”
Whether you are trying to cure that nasty hangover or just want to provide a tasty, hearty breakfast, a Gluten-Free breakfast burrito made with Rudi’s Gluten-Free Spinach Tortillas is an easy-to-make breakfast option that will never let you down!
Ingredients (Makes 5 Breakfast Burritos)
1 Pack of Rudi’s Gluten-Free Spinach Tortillas
1 Organic Green Bell Pepper
1 Organic Jalapeño
¼ lb of Organic Arugula
1 Bundle of Organic Green Onions
1 Organic Avocado
1 Can of Amy’s Organic Vegetarian Beans
5 Organic Eggs
1 Jar of Your Favorite “Verde” Hot Sauce (I prefer Horsetooth Hot Sauce “The Green”)
1.5 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Pull Rudi’s Gluten-Free Spinach Tortillas out of the freezer (they will thaw quickly)
- Start by pouring approximately 1.5 Tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan on med/med-high heat.
- Pour a full can of Amy’s Organic Vegetarian Beans into a small pot on med-low heat.
- Slice the Green Bell and Jalapeño peppers and add them to the saucepan stirring them frequently Note: For those who like their meals extra spicy, add an additional Jalapeño to your sauté. Be sure to slice your peppers small enough so you avoid pulling all of your peppers in a single “burrito” bite.
- Chop the Green Onions and set aside for a final garnish.
- Continue to stir the peppers.
- Crack 5 eggs in to a large bowl and scramble them with salt/pepper. If you are not dairy-free, add milk to the scramble.
- Once the peppers are soft and caramelized, pour your eggs into the saucepan.
- Cook eggs until finished. Be cautious, since the saucepan is already hot, the eggs should be finished in less than 3 minutes. Do not overcook the eggs!
- Warm tortillas in the microwave covered with a damp paper towel. Alternate tortillas with paper towels. Microwave for 30 seconds to one minute, depending on how many tortillas.
- Remove saucepan from heat and begin to build your burrito.
Add the eggs and peppers first, then the beans. Garnish with diced Avocado, Green Onions and Arugula. Top with your favorite hot sauce. For those who are not dairy-free add your favorite shaved Queso Blanco cheese.
I hope you have good burrito wrapping skills!