My favorite breakfasts are the ones around the holidays surrounded by family and friends. This recipe for Sweet Cream and Raspberry French Toast Roll-Ups was inspired by simple challenge: “Can we make a gluten-free version of those delicious things we keep seeing on Pinterest?”
This recipe may not be difficult but there’s some effort to put it all together. I like to prep my sweet cream filling and cinnamon-sugar coating first before flattening bread slices. I also recommend microwaving gluten-free bread for 30 seconds or more because the extra warmth helps mimic the natural elasticity of gluten-full bread.
Sweet Cream and Raspberry French Toast Roll-Ups
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 8 slices sandwich bread, such as Rudi’s GF multi-grain
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 oz. fresh whole raspberries
- 1 tbsp. confectioner’s sugar
- Non-stick cooking spray
1. Blend cream cheese and half of the sugar. Transfer mixture into small pastry or plastic bag. Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla together in a second bowl and set aside. Combine remaining sugar with cinnamon in a third bowl. Wash and dry raspberries then quarter lengthwise.
2. Trim crusts off bread and flatten with rolling pin. Pipe 1/2” line of filling at the end at one end of bread slice and add a few pieces of raspberry. Carefully roll up and away from you then place seam side down on a plate. Repeat until finished.
3. Prep large frying pan with non-stick spray and heat on medium-high. Carefully coat rolls in egg mixture, one at a time, and place seam side down in pan. Cook in small batches on medium until golden brown.
4. Turn rolls until covered in cinnamon-sugar mix. Sprinkle little confectioner’s sugar and eat up!
Hint: It’s totally not a crisis if you happen to mix up steps and coat rolls with cinnamon-sugar before putting them in the frying pan. Cooking will be a little messier but they will taste just as good!