My recipe should win because everyone, no matter what diet they are on, LoVes it! My fussiest daughter actually said, “I can’t stop eating this!” When I can make a GF dish that everyone loves, of course it should be tagged WiNNeR! FanRUDIastic Yammy Quiche is nutritious, filling and can be eaten for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner! Finally, this quiche is easy to make and so colorful making it fanRUDIastic! Time to prepare: 45 mins
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 ½ cups (3 oz) finely chopped leek
1 large (10 oz) yam or sweet potato, peeled, or 3 cups grated yams
5 slices Rudi’s Gluten-Free Multigrain Bread
1 teaspoon gluten-free lemon pepper seasoning
7 extra large eggs
1/2 cup half and half cream
1 teaspoon gluten-free salt free garlic herb seasoning
1 cup shredded Italian five cheese blend
1/3 cup chopped gluten-free Canadian Bacon
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
1 slice gluten-free Canadian Bacon, cut ¼-inch wide x 3-inch long strips
2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Heat oven 400 degrees F. Line a 9-inch spring form pan with parchment paper.
- In a large frying pan, heat 3-tablespoons olive oil. Add leeks, and cook on medium for 7 minutes. When leeks are done cooking reserve 2-tablespoons for crust. Scrape remaining leeks into large bowl to mix with egg mixture.
- Meanwhile, make breadcrumbs from Rudi’s Gluten-Free Multigrain Bread. Break bread into pieces and process in food processor for three 10-second pulses OR crumble Rudi’s Multigrain Bread by rubbing between your thumb and first two fingers! Make 2 heaping cups of breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, grate yams. Cut off the rough ends of the yams and discard. Cut one vertical slice to create a yam slice to decorate the center of the quiche (under 1-inch in width and under ¼-inch deep). Shred yams on the largest grating hole of a food processor or hand grater. Grate yams to create 3 cups grated yams. Chop any yam pieces that are too small to go through grater and incorporate into egg mixture.
- Grease the wall of the spring form pan with olive oil. So as not to dirty another pan, use the leeks frying pan and toss 2-tablespoons cooked leeks, grated yams, 2-tablespoons olive oil, lemon pepper, and homemade Rudi’s Gluten-Free Multigrain breadcrumbs. Pat crumbs on bottom of pan and up the sides to within 1/2-inch of pan’s edge.
- In large bowl with leeks, whisk in eggs, cream, herb seasoning, and grated cheese until smooth and creamy. Stir any extra chopped or grated yams and chopped Canadian bacon into egg mixture and mix well. Right before pouring egg mixture into pan, stir in baking powder and mix well. Pour egg mixture into pan. Arrange Canadian Bacon strips in a spokes-like design with the yam slice as the center. Sprinkle with chives. Bake 35 minutes or until set in the center. Cool 10 minutes, run a thin knife in between the pan’s edge and quiche crust. Remove from pan. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves
GF Baking Powder: Rumford Non-aluminum, Clabber Girl, Davis, and Hain Pure Foods Featherweight Baking .
GF Canadian Bacon: Hormel Canadian Style Bacon and Jones Dairy
Farm Canadian Bacon.
GF Cheese Blend: Kraft natural Cheese Italian Five Cheese
GF spices: McCormick Perfect Pinch Lemon & Pepper and McCormick Gourmet Collection Salt-Free Garlic & Herb.
Cook’s note: Grated carrots can be exchanged for the sweet potatoes! If you need to cut fat from your diet low-fat milk can be exchanged for the cream.
Recipe by Merry Graham