Firstly because it is seriously the best bread pudding ever! Secondly because it won rave reviews from my humanities class about life on the mississippi. i graduate with my bachelors degree in psychology in may and this class was one of my final required courses. everyone loved this pudding and didn’t even know it was gluten-free. Time to prepare: 1 hour
1 loaf of rudi’s gluten free bread (any kind), cubed
3 cups whole milk
1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
1 cup plus 3 Tbs sugar, divided
1/2 cup currants
1 Tbs vanilla extract
2 tsp butter
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 stick butter (8 Tbs)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tbs apple cider or rum
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon juice
- preheat oven to 300. place cubed bread on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until “stale” but not browned.
- To make the bread pudding, whisk together the eggs, milk, coconut milk, 1 cup of sugar, currants and vanilla extract in a large bowl. stir in the “staled” bread until well combined; let stand at room temperature for 30-45 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 350. coat a 9 x 13 baking dish with 2 tsp butter. transfer the soaked bread mixture to the baking dish. set aside.
- Combine the remaining 3 Tbs sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. sprinkle over bread pudding. bake the pudding until the center is set, about 1 hour. remove to a cooling rack; let rest for 20-30 minutes before serving.
- For the sauce, melt the butter with the brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until melted and smooth, whisking constantly for about 2 minutes. whisk in the cream, cider or rum, cinnamon and salt.; bring to a simmer and cook until sauce begins to thicken and is reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 5 minutes. stir in pecans, vanilla extract and lemon juice. serve the sauce warm over the pudding.
Recipe by Martine Walker