This recipe was created dairy-free therefore it can be enjoyed by everyone living a gluten-free and dairy-free lifestyle. These falafel are a perfect entree for kids as well as an anytime snack or appetizer for adults. I enjoy eating these baked falafel balls for dinner with fresh vegetables. Time to Prepare: 40 hrs 0 mins
1 (16 oz. can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 slices Rudi’s Gluten-Free Cinnamon Raisin Bread
1 large sweet onion, roughly chopped
1/2 cup fresh strawberries
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp. orange zest
2 Tbsp. orange juice
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon all-spice
2 tsp. water
2 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
Spinach Pesto Ingredients
2 cups spinach, steamed and roughly chopped
½ cup cashews, toasted
1/4 cup rice milk
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Toast Rudi’s Gluten-Free Bread in a toaster until well toasted. Break toast into pieces and place in the food processor. Pulse until mixture forms a bread-crumb like consistency.
3. Combine remaining ingredients; process until coarsely chopped. Add water and ground flax seeds. Using hands, mold into golf-sized balls.
4. Place falafel balls on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Remove from oven and serve warm with Spinach Cashew Pesto (below).
- Combine all Spinach Pesto ingredients in a clean food processor; pulse until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with warm falafel. Enjoy!
Recipe by Amie Valpone