Because it’s a delicious and healthy dish that can be served hot or cold, is high in protein, low in carbohydrates, and completely gluten free. It’s also simple to make and inexpensive. Time to prepare: 10 mins
2 15oz cans white beans, rinsed and drained
3 shallots or 1/2 a sweet onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbps fresh Chives, chopped
1/2 bunch flat leaf (Italian) parsley, chopped
1 tbsp fresh Thyme leaves
2 – 3 cups fresh baby spinach
salt to taste
Rudi’s Multigrain Gluten-Free Bread (1 slice per serving)
1/8 cup shredded Parmesan (per slice)
1 tbsp GF brown or dijon mustard
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- In a frying pan, heat oil on med-low heat. Add shallots and salt and sweat until soft (about 2-3 min).
- Turn heat up to medium and add beans and heat until piping hot, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients together and whisk until smooth.
- When beans are hot, add dressing and herbs. Stir well to combine. Add spinach and cover. Cook until spinach is wilted, stir everything together and serve hot or refrigerate in an air-tight container for a cold salad.
- In a toaster oven or broiler, lightly toast bread slices until brown, add parmesan to each and return to oven to melt cheese (just a few seconds should do it.) Cut cheesy toasts in half cross-wise and top with bean and spinach salad mix (the salad can be hot or cold).
Recipe by Wendy Trakes