I like to develop healthier options for dessert. These cookies are higher in protein due to the almond meal/flour and they taste delicious. I prepared them 3 ways to offer options. I hope you enjoy them!
Almond and Oatmeal Cookies, Three Ways
I have created three options for this cookie: jam in the center, chocolate on top, and plain. Bake your favorite one or enjoy them all! Please note that I used a small amount of ghee in this recipe. Ghee is clarified butter that has had the casein and other milk solids removed. If you are vegan, use coconut oil or melted vegan margarine instead. If you have an allergy to nuts, substitute the almond meal with the same amount of sorghum flour.
Makes 22–24 cookies
Time: About 45 minutes, including baking time
1 teaspoon chia seeds
2 tablespoon water
1/4 cup ghee, butter, coconut oil, or vegan margarine
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
2 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup almond meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups GF oats
Jam or vegan chocolate chunks
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Put the chia seeds and water together in a small bowl and whisk them well. Let this mixture sit for about 5–6 minutes so it can gel.
3. In the meantime, put the ghee and coconut oil in a large mixing bowl and blend together with an electric mixer at medium speed until nice and creamy. Add the brown rice syrup, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and stir until the ingredients are fully incorporated. Add the chia mixture and blend well.
3. Next, add the flour, almond meal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix for 1–2 minutes on high speed to fully incorporate the ingredients together. Stir the oats into the batter with a wooden spoon.
4. Using a rounded tablespoon, drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet, spacing the balls 2 inches apart. Press each ball of dough slightly to form a nice round cookie.
5. If you are making the cookies with jam, use the bottom of a rounded tablespoon (or your finger) to form a well in the center of each cookie. Fill each well with a dollop of your favorite all-fruit jam. If you are making the chocolate version of the cookies, lightly press chunks of chocolate across the top of each cookie. Or you can just leave them plain!
6. Bake the cookies for 20–22 minutes. Remove them from the cookie sheet and place them on a wire rack to cool.