February 18, 2014
Parents Magazine has selected Rudi’s very own Multigrain Organic Soft Pretzels as one of the best quick snacks in their annual list of “25 Best Packaged Foods for Families!! In order for us to have been considered, the pretzels had to get the okay from kiddos (tough critics)! They also had to be free of artificial colors and flavors, and have low levels of fat and sodium.
Parents Magazine came up with its list by pining through hundreds of every-day grocery items and selecting only those that are most family friendly. They excluded all products that didn’t meet their health standards and, after narrowing it down a bit, came up with a list of possible products. Then, they start the fun part! Over 100 kids (and their parents) were brought in to taste test all the yummy foods and picked their top 25. Click here to see a video showing how Parents Magazine decided which snacks ranked highest!
With only 170 calories and 3 g of fat per pretzel, these toaster and microwave friendly treats contain only organic wheat, corn, oats, and honey! AND with a salt packet enclosed, snack-goers can flavor this snack as much or as little as they would like! For more information about Parents Magazine and the other tasty treats that made the 25 Best Packaged Foods for Families list, click here.
February 14, 2014
If you’re serving breakfast in bed this Valentine’s Day, or even staying in and making a fun breakfast for dinner, we have the perfect recipe! This delicious meal, made with bread from yours truly, is sure to please! This V-Day, try our heart-shaped french toast and strawberries made not only with ingredients you can pronounce, but with love!
Heart-Shaped Organic V-Day Breakfast
- 2 eggs, organic
- 2 tbs. Hain organic powdered sugar
- 4 slices Rudi’s Organic 100% Whole Wheat bread
- syrup, jam, icing sugar, etc. (this part is up to you!); organic
- 1 package large fresh strawberries, organic
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 tbs. milk, organic
- non-stick spray
- heart-shaped cookie-cutter
- Set your stove to medium heat and pace a large pan over the burner. Add non-stick spray
- Using the cookie-cutter, cut out heart shapes in each slice of bread.
- In a bowl, beat together egg, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Dip the bread, one piece at a time, into the egg mixture. Coat evenly.
- Place each slice into the pan and cook until golden brown on each side. Remove when done.
- Using a paring knife, cut out in inverted triangle at the top of each strawberry. Cut the strawberries in half to serve. (They should look like hearts at this time!)
- Before serving, drizzle syrup, jam, or icing sugar over toast. Top off by sprinkling some powdered sugar and enjoy!
January 31, 2014
Super Bowl Sunday is right around the corner and lets face it, we know the snacks are just as important as the big game. Need a tasty treat that is not only easy to make, but is also healthy and something the whole family – including the kids – will love? Don’t worry we have you covered for this year’s gathering! Try making this scrumptious snack using our Rudi’s Organic bread:
- 1 lbs. of zucchini (pick decent sizes to cut into strips)
- 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ c. bread crumbs (For this recipe, we used 3-4 slices of Rudi’s Multigrain Oat, but any of our other breads you have on hand or prefer would work)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place wire rack on cookie sheet lined with foil. Lightly cover rack with non-stick cooking spray.
- Chop zucchini into strips at desired length and width.
- Prepare the breadcrumbs. For this, place 3-4 pieces of Rudi’s bread (make sure the bread is somewhat hard, either a few days old or lightly toasted in oven or toaster) into a food processer along with the salt and pepper. Blend until bread becomes a small crumb consistency.
- Place flour, eggs and crumbs into 3 separate bowls for dipping.
- Dip zucchini strips into the flour first, egg second and crumbs last. Once coated, place on wire rack. Continue this process until all zucchini strips have been coated.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!
We served our fries with Annie’s Organic Cowgirl Ranch, but feel free to serve with your own dipping sauce preference!
January 9, 2014
A Rudi’s fan recently sent us a photo of a bag she made using only Rudi’s Organic and Gluten-Free plastic bags (as pictured), which got us thinking about how to utilize our own collection of plastic bags!
Before you throw away your Rudi’s, or grocery bags if you have them, consider reusing them in one of these ways:
- Do as our fan did and string the plastic bags to make “yarn” for knitting and crochet projects, or other art projects in general
- Picking up after pets
- Transporting dirty clothes or shoes when traveling places
- Packing a lunch
- Taking on shopping trips instead of getting new ones
- Wrapping fragile items for protection when storing or moving them
- Lining trash cans instead of purchasing new trash bags
- Placing fruits and veggies in them at the grocery store or farmer’s market
- Stuffing packages instead of using bubble wrap or paper
What are some ways you already reuse your bags?