- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 small jalapeño, deseeded and chopped
- ¼ cup frozen corn, thawed
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (see Ann’s Tips)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Combine the black beans, red onion, and eggs in a food processor. Blend until you have a chunky hummus texture, leaving some large or whole black bean pieces.
2. Transfer the black mean mixture to a bowl and combine with the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Form into 4 patties.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drop the patties into the pan, do this in batches if you need, so as not to crowd the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, then carefully flip and cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Serve immediately on a bun with smashed avocado, tomato and lettuce. Try ‘em on our new Flatz!
Taking care of yourself is always important, but during cancer treatment it’s crucial. One of the key ways to deal with the rigors of treatment is to make sure you’re eating a balanced diet of healthy, nourishing food. Check out www.CookForYourLife.org for more information.